Compass Box Delilah’s XXV

Compass Box Delilah 25th

Compass Box Delilah’s XXV is made to commemorate the 25th birthday of the Chicago bar Delilah’s. Compass Box already made a blend for them five years ago, and a small leftover parcel of this recipe was further matured and forms the base of the new release.

The original blend (29%) was made with Teaninich and Glen Elgin, plus grain from Cameronbridge. It was further matured in refill hogsheads. This remaining 71% is a new mix of malt whisky whisky from Miltonduff, Teaninich, Linkwood, an undisclosed distillery located close to the town of Aberlour, and Cameronbridge again.



Compass Box Delilah's XXV reviewCompass Box Delilah’s XXV
(46%, OB 2018, 8520 btl.)

Nose: lots of toffee notes, butterscotch, milk chocolate mousse and a little vanilla. The American oak sherry is obvious. Baking spices too (clove, nutmeg). Baked apples. Hints of grassy malt. It’s quite rich, alternating between sweet and savoury, but also a tad bloated.

Mouth: spice galore now. Clove and nutmeg again, some cardamom and black pepper. Fresh oak. Then malt cookies, hints of chocolate and red berries. Some hazelnut cream and brown sugar in the end.

Finish: quite long, with a woody feel, alongside chocolate and dried fruits from the sherry.

Quite good and reasonably complex, with lots of spices and creamy richness. Maybe a tad high on the caramel notes for me personally. Available from The Whisky Exchange or Master of Malt among others.

Score: 87/100