Seven Glenlivet expressions from Gordon & MacPhail
To celebrate the landmark release this September of the oldest single malt Scotch ever bottled – the Generations 80-Years-Old from Glenlivet distillery – Gordon & MacPhail announced the release of seven Glenlivet expressions from different decades.
The oldest are four expressions in the Private Collection series: a Glenlivet 1975, two 1976s and a Glenlivet 1980. In the younger Connoisseurs Choice range we find a Glenlivet 1993, 2003 and 2004. Prices go from £ 104 up to £ 1750.
We’ll be able to try a couple of these Glenlivets, stay tuned!
Benromach Contrasts: Peat Smoke – Sherry Cask Matured
Benromach announced a new sherry cask matured version of their Benromach Peat Smoke, produced with malted barley peated to 55 ppm phenols. It was matured in first-fill sherry hogsheads.
While this is not a new expression, the 2012 vintage is the first one to get the rebranded bottle design. Also new is the fact that it comes at 46% ABV while previous vintages were bottled at cask strength.
Bruichladdich Bere Barley 2011 / Port Charlotte Islay Barley 2013
Bruichladdich distillery is releasing two new expressions:
- Bruichladdich Bere Barley 2011
using the slightly unorthodox, low-yielding barley type (£ 75)
- Port Charlotte Islay Barley 2013
which is grown, distilled and matured on Islay. It is 8 years old and matured in ex-bourbon and ex-wine casks from the Pessac-Léognan region (£ 65)
Bowmore & Aston Martin: travel retail whisky
The latest collaboration between Bowmore and Aston Martin is a series of travel retail expressions called the Designed by Aston Martin collection. It incorporates three whiskies:
- Bowmore 10 Years ‘Dark & Intense’
- Bowmore 15 Years ‘Golden & Elegant’
- Bowmore 18 Years ‘Deep & Complex’
They will be released on a yearly basis and feature drawings of remarkable Aston Martin cars on the box. The series will be available in Duty Free worldwide with activations at key airport locations including London Heathrow, Frankfurt, Hainan, Istanbul and Taiwan.
Things that may not have been widely announced but that grabbed my attention in shops recently…
- Ben Nevis 10 Year Old (revamped 2021 edition)
- Ben Nevis Coire Leis (entirely new expression?)
- Glendronach 26 Years 1993 cask #8635 (TWS exclusive)
- Glenburgie 25 Years 1995 G&M (TWS exclusive)
- Old Pulteney 37 Years 1982 (Gordon & MacPhail Private Collection)
- Edradour 12 Years 2009 Sherry
- Privateer Thick as Thieves rum (TWE exclusive)
- Singleton of Dufftown 25 Years
- Langatun Marsala Cask Finish
- MacNair’s Lum Reek 21 Year Old