01 Dec 2010
Malt Maniacs Awards 2010
Posted by: Ruben Luyten In: * News
Here are the Gold medal winners of this year’s Malt Maniacs Awards (no less than 12):
- GlenDronach 1972/2010 (cask #700) for Taiwan
- Longmorn 1964/2010 G&M for LMdW (cask #1034)
- Macallan 1970/2010 G&M for LMdW (cask #10031)
- Karuizawa 1977/2010 Noh (No.1 Drinks – cask #4592)
- Karuizawa 1975/2010 for LMdW (cask #6736)
- Glengoyne 1972/2010 The Perfect Dram
- Kawasaki ‘Ichiro’s Choice’ 1981/2009 for LMdW
- Glenfarclas 40 yo OB
- Caperdonich 1972/2010 (Duncan Taylor cask #7420)
- Glen Scotia 1977/2010 (A.D. Rattray cask #985)
- Karuizawa 1976/2009 Noh (No.1 Drinks – cask 6719)
- Port Ellen PE2 (The Whisky Exchange)
Have a look at the full score card
Of 262 entries, 219 received a medal. Yes, I also find that a high percentage but remember that bottlers and distilleries are sending their “best of the best”.
The conclusions are remarkably similar to last year: GlenDronach came in first with one of its (already legendary) 1972 releases. Congratulations to them, it’s clear that they have some stunning 1970’s casks waiting to be bottled. Also, it’s obvious that Karuizawa (as well as other Japanese brands) is still very popular. Note that the new Karuizawa 1968 came in below a few 1970’s bottlings. La Maison du Whisky is still the king of proprietary independent releases.
Kudos to Glenfarclas for its 40yo! It’s not very common for a (large batch) standard bottling to get such a high score.
I’m glad I already picked up the Caperdonich 1972 by Duncan Taylor – by far the cheapest option in this list, which gives it the best quality / price ratio (as often with old Caperdonich).