Campbeltown Loch 21 Year Old

Made by the owners of the Springbank distillery, J and A Mitchell, the Campbeltown Loch 21 Year Old is made with up to 60% single malt, a big part of which is Springbank of course. The other 40% is said to be Girvan grain whisky. A minimal blend, just as we like ‘em.



Campbeltown Loch 21 YearsCampbeltown Loch 21 yo
(46%, OB +/- 2017)

Nose: rich and malty, with orange marmalade, floral notes and sweet lemon glaze. damp oak. Very little peat for a Springbank, closer to Hazelburn. Resin. Apples. Soft sherry notes. Cardamom. New leather.

Mouth: sweet fruits, candied peels, as well as some subtle dried fruits / sherried notes. Heather honey. Light cocoa. Still not much peaty flavours, but a nice coastal note. Also perhaps a bit more rough grainy notes than I hoped for, but after all it is still a blend.

Finish: medium long, with some oaky notes, aniseed and leathery notes.

On the one hand, this is simply a very good blend. On the other hand, its high age made me expect something along the lines of the Spirit of Freedom 30yo (which was almost the same price a couple of years ago), but it just doesn’t reach that level of sophistication. Around € 85-100.

Score: 85/100