Lagavulin 21 Year Old – Islay Jazz Festival 2019
A 21 year-old Lagavulin at cask strength, if that doesn’t get you excited, then what does? It is released for the Islay Jazz Festival 2019, to celebrate the 21st edition.
Matured in a combination of refill American oak hogsheads and freshly charred hogsheads, the tasting notes mention dried fruits, briny smoke, sandalwood, bacon and a hint of gunpowder. There will be 2004 bottles, available at the distillery only for £ 395.
New bottler: The Whisky Jury
Belgium has a new independent bottler called The Whisky Jury, looking for great casks. After months of selection work the first release is available soon: a Ben Nevis 1995 single cask. Stay tuned for my review, in the meantime check the website for more information.
Whisky Show bottlings
On 28 and 29 September The Whisky Show 2019 will be held in London. Four special festival bottlings are bottled by The Whisky Exchange in a series called The Magic of the Cask.
- Caol Ila 9 Years (Gonzalez & Byass sherry cask)
- Ben Nevis 22 Years (refill sherry)
- Imperial 23 Years (refill bourbon)
- Blended Whisky 45 Years (refill sherry)
Whisky that may not have been widely announced but that grabbed my attention in shops recently…
- Brora 40 Year Old 200th Anniversary
- Laphroaig 25 Year Old (2019 edition)
- Deanston 1997 Palo Cortado finish
- Deanston 2006 Fino finish
- Glentauchers 2008 (sherry cask – Loch Fyne exclusive)
- Highland Park 30 Year Old (2019 release)
- Tomatin 12 Years Amontillado finish
- The Half-Century Blend – Batch #4
- GlenAllachie 15 Year Old