Redbreast 19 Years (The Whisky Exchange)
The Whisky Exchange recently launched a Redbreast 19 Year Old Small Batch release. It comes from second-fill Oloroso sherry casks, which should leave enough room for the original fruity spirit to shine through. It is unclear how many bottles are available, in any case it offers a generous 58.9% ABV.
The tasting notes mention cherries, prunes, mango, pineapple cake, vanilla and sandalwood. Considering the quality of the previous Redbreast bottling for TWE, this sounds very interesting. Exclusively available from The Whisky Exchange.
Bowmore + Aston Martin (2023 release)
Bowmore has unveiled the third and final release of its global travel retail-exclusive collection designed by Aston Martin. There are three the limited edition bottles for 2023:
- Bowmore 10 Years / Aston Martin 1923 ‘Razor Blade’
40%, sherry-seasoned casks, around € 60
- Bowmore 15 Years / Aston Martin DB4
43%, first-fill bourbon casks and hogsheads, around € 90
- Bowmore 18 Years / Aston Martin DB9
43%, Oloroso and PX sherry casks, around € 135
All three are available in 17 key airports including Heathrow, Frankfurt, Istabul, Dubai and Hong Kong.
Halcyon Spirits: Macallan 30 Years
The new independent bottler Halcyon Spirits just released its inaugural bottling, a Macallan 30 Year Old distilled in 1993. Brothers Daniel and Craig Milne are the owners of this bottler. If this name doesn’t ring a bell, their other project Whisky Hammer probably will. They also have a 2000-cask warehouse where they store liquid for other parties.
This Macallan costs £ 2950 and only 238 bottles are available from the Halcyon website. We have a sample on our desk so stay tuned for tasting notes.
Craigellachie 27 Years Double Cask / Craigellachie 37 Years
In Bacardi’s travel retail range we find two new Craigellachie expressions:
- Craigellachie 27 Years ‘Double Cask’
Bottled at 44.9% ABV, classic bourbon casks + brandy cask finish. Price: US$ 2500.
- Craigellachie 37 Years ‘Bourbon Cask’
Matured in refill casks and finished in first-fill bourbon casks. It clocks in at 46,5% ABV. Price: US$ 3245.
Both are expected in August 2023.
Berry Bros: 2023 Summer whisky releases
The summer 2023 release from Berry Bros. & Rudd contains six single malt whiskies, one Exceptional Cask Blended Malt and one Brazilian rum (Epris 2011). The list of whisky releases:
- Exception Blended Malt 1979 (52.6%, cask #5, £ 450) (link)
- Masthouse 2017 – Copper Rivet (59.7%, cask #16, £ 125) (link)
- Benrinnes 2010 (46%, £ 70) (link)
- Glen Moray 2008 (52.4%, cask #5710, £ 90) (link)
- Dufftown 2008 (56.1%,Pineau cask #96, £ 100) (link)
- Caol Ila 2010 (56.5%, Oloroso cask #311751, £ 110) (link)
- Orkney Islands 2006 (57.1%, Oloroso cask #5051, £ 120) (link)
Last but not least, here are some things that grabbed my attention in shops recently…
- Glenfarclas 15 Year Old – 95 Proof (TWE exclusive)
- The Kinship 2023 Collection
- Bowmore 25 Years 1997 Sherry (Gleann Mor)
- Blended Whisky 34 Years 1989 (Gleann Mor)
- Lagg Kilmory Edition (2023)
- Speyside 30 Years 1992 (Douglas Laing XOP)
- Loch Lomond 25 Years 1998 (151st Open release)
- Mortlach 25 Years (G&M distillery label)
- Benromach 2014 Contrasts: Peat Smoke Sherry Cask