Brora 40 Year Old
Diageo will release a new Brora 40 Year Old celebrating the 200th anniversary of the distillery. It is a vatting of 12 American oak hogsheads from 1978, bottled at 49.2% ABV. Only 1819 bottles will be available, reflecting the year of opening.
At around € 5000 this doesn’t come cheap, but interestingly it is cheaper than the Brora 40 Years released in 2014 which was around € 7500.
Brora is set to reopen next year – construction work is underway.
Karuizawa Ambassadors’ Collection
Elixir Distillers donated an exclusive bottle of Karuizawa Ambassadors’ Collection to raise money for The Ben at auction. It is a marriage of single malts from 1972 through to 1999 aged in sherry casks and bottled at 59.1% ABV. Only two of these bottles exist, one of which will stay in the Elixir archives.
Proceeds raised will be donated the The Benevolent Society of Licensed Trade in Scotland, a charity supporting people who have worked in the licensed trade.
You can register for the auction through Whisky.auction now. It goes live on 18 August and ends 27 August. Last year a similar bottle of Karuizawa 50 Years was auctioned for £ 100,100.
Glenmorangie Truffle Oak Reserve 26 Years
Glenmorangie already launched a Truffle Oak expression back in 2005, finished in porous grained virgin oak casks made of truffle oak sourced in the Black Forest in Germany.
This was 1st April 1993 and it looks like the distillery is set to release another bottling from the same parcel of casks, now 26 years of age. Bottled at 55.7% ABV although this might change upon bottling.
Things that may not have been widely announced but that grabbed my attention in shops recently…
- Bruichladdich Organic 2010
- Orkney’s Finest 2003 (Douglas Laing Old Particular)
- Bielle 2011 (Asta Morris) –> excellent rum, review coming up
- Invergordon 1966 (Douglas Laing Xtra Old Particular)
- Clynelish 20 Years Distillery Exclusive
- Laphroaig 10 Years Cask Strength Batch #009
- GlenDronach 1992 single cask #64 (TWS exclusive)
- Loch Lomond 2004 single sherry cask (TWS exclusive)
- Glentauchers 2006 1st fill sherry cask #117576
- Strathisla 2003 1st fill sherry cask #36910